Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) welcomed its largest class to date, the Class of 2016, on July 24. The larger class size is a result of LMU-DCOM receiving approval from the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) to increase its incoming class size from 150 students to 225 students.
“This class size increase will allow LMU-DCOM to better fulfill its mission of training quality osteopathic physicians committed to service,” said Ray E. Stowers, vice president of health sciences. “Because we are situated in the underserved Appalachian region, the more opportunities we have to enroll and train osteopathic medical students in this environment, the more likely we are to grow physicians who will be dedicated to the region.”
LMU-DCOM is one of the largest medical school enrollments in the state of Tennessee. It is also one of the least expensive private medical schools. Earlier this year LMU-DCOM was named to the “U.S. News” Short List of Top Ten Least Expensive Private Medical Schools in the United States. LMU-DCOM ranked 6th on the list. Tuition and fees for LMU-DCOM for 2011-2012 were $37,419.
“Keeping the cost down while still offering a quality education is an essential part of our mission,” said Dr. Jonathan Leo, associate dean of students for LMU-DCOM and assistant vice president for admissions and student services in the Division of Health Sciences. “Students with less debt are more likely to work in medically underserved regions.”
Since its founding in 2007, LMU-DCOM has had a rigorous and competitive application process. For the Class of 2015, there were approximately 17 applicants for each seat in the class. LMU-DCOM received more than 3,300 applications for the Class of 2016, a 17 percent increase in applications in one year.
One hundred and three students - or 44 percent of the Class of 2016 - hail from the immediate tri-state region of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia. The remaining 56 percent of the class members come from all over the United States. The class is 61 percent male and 39 percent female and the average age is 25.
The DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine is located on the campus of Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, Tennessee. LMU-DCOM is an integral part of LMU’s values-based learning community, and is dedicated to preparing the next generation of osteopathic physicians to provide health care in the often underserved region of Appalachia and beyond. For more information about LMU-DCOM, call 1-800-325-0900, ext. 7082, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit us online at www.lmunet.edu/dcom.