Veterans Day events
Published 12:45 pm Tuesday, November 7, 2017
There are several events scheduled in the area to recognize Veterans Day.
– Midway Elementary School will be celebrating Veterans Day on Nov. 8. They will be serving lunch to veterans and those currently serving in the military starting at 11:45 a.m. in the cafeteria. A program will follow at 1 p.m in the gymnasium. Students would like to invite the public to join them at 1 p.m. to honor these men and women.
– Soldiers Memorial Middle School will hold its annual Veterans Day ceremony Nov. 9 at 9 a.m. All veterans are welcome to attend, but please notify the school if you plan on attending.
– H.Y. Livesay Middle School will host a Veterans Day program Nov. 10 beginning at 9 a.m., 8:30 a.m. for refreshments. The entire program will be done by the students. Everyone is invited to attend.
– Everyone is invited to Claiborne High School gym on Nov. 10 at 9 a.m. for a special program honoring military veterans. Breakfast will be served to veterans, active duty personnel and their spouses beginning at 8 a.m. in the multi-purpose room.
– Cumberland Gap High School will hold its annual Veterans Day program to honor veterans, active duty personnel and their spouses on Nov. 10. A soup bean lunch will be served to veterans, active duty and spouses at 11:30 a.m. and the program will begin at 1 p.m. The public is encouraged to attend.
– Claiborne Medical Center is having a ceremony to recognize its employees and nursing home residents who are veterans on Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. Community members are invited to attend.
– All Claiborne County veterans are invited to the Veterans Day Celebration ceremony to be held Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. at the Cardwell Park, located across from the Tazewell Post Office. The scheduled guest speaker will be retired five-star Gen. Carl Stiner. Tazewell Mayor Bill Fannon will be the master of ceremonies. All veterans and the public are encouraged to attend.
– The VFW Post #8779 in New Tazewell is having a dinner to honor veterans on Nov. 11. All veterans are invited to come out and enjoy some good food and fellowship. The dinner is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.
– There will be a Veterans Day dinner Nov. 11 from 5 p.m. until ? at the Sharps Chapel Senior Citizens Building, sponsored by Blazing Star Lodge #455 F&AM. There will be beans, “taters” and cornbread for a $5 donation, veteran eat free. Gospel music by Ron Kitts and the Gospel Strings. Join them for some good home cooking, “like Grandma used to make.”