Church Events: Straightway Baptist Church ramps up for its Homecoming
Published 11:29 am Wednesday, August 18, 2021
- Straightway Baptist Church will be holding its Homecoming on Aug. 22 beginning at 10 a.m. Everyone is invited. Micheal Gray, pastor
- Mt. Zion Baptist Church Homecoming will be held on Aug. 29 beginning at 10:30 a.m. Special singers are expected to attend. Lunch will be served after the worship service. Everyone is welcome. Rev. Kenny Williams, pastor
- The Claiborne County Hunger Ministry is open at its new location of 1199 Cedar Fork Road in Tazewell. Food distribution occurs each Wednesday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- The Shepherd’s Closet is now open each Wednesday from noon to 5 p.m. The nonprofit is located behind Thompson’s Chapel at 1015 Old Hwy. 33 near DeRoyal. For more info, call Diane at: 423-626-3913.
- Shoemaker Cemetery is in dire need of donations to continue its upkeep. Those who once regularly donated have since passed away, leaving a drastic reduction in the funding to cover mowing and other necessities. We humbly ask that anyone, especially those whose final resting places are inside the cemetery, to consider donating to this critical need. Any size donation is greatly appreciated. Please send your donations to the Shoemaker Cemetery Fund; c/o Neta Munsey; P.O. Box 443, New Tazewell, TN 37824.
- Scott Cemetery is in need of funds for upkeep. If you have loved ones buried there, please send donations to the Scott Cemetery account, c/o Commercial Bank in Harrogate, TN.
- G.L.O.S.S. (Girls Loving Ourselves Seriously Sober) is helping those with addictions to find their way back to sobriety. The organization offers those without rides to probation appointments, court, rehabilitation and other destinations a way to get there. There are on-site recovery coaches and one-on-one counseling. The organization is currently accepting donations of money and items like clothing, hygiene products and food to help the homeless, whose population includes many recovering addicts. For more info, call Kelly at: 423-489-2689.
- Stand in the Gap S.T.A.R.T. Support Transition & Recovery Training meets every Thursday evening from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. with refreshments served at 6 p.m. The meetings are held at 325 Straight Creek Rd. in New Tazewell with Pastor James Shoffner of Riverview Missionary Baptist Church of Harrogate. For more info, call 423-300-1302.
- Live Free Recovery Program at the Hill Church is a state-certified program that collaborates with organizations like Metro Drug and the TN Dept. of Health & Substance Abuse. Program participants meet each Tuesday at 6 p.m. with a different speaker each evening. Weekly recognition of recovery milestones are discussed prior to the participants splitting into small groups depending on individual needs. Groups include such diverse subjects as substance abuse, self-care, anger control and ‘Adulting 101’. For more info, call Pastor Kyle Prichard at: 423-526-5655. The Hill Church is located at 1216 Cedar Fork Road in Tazewell. The website is: www.loc8nearme.com/tennessee/tazewell/the-hill-claiborne/6148721.
- Woods Cosby Cemetery is in need of funds for upkeep. If you have loved ones buried there, please send donations to the Woods Cosby Cemetery Fund c/o the Commerical Bank in Tazewell, TN or to Mike Cosby; 452 Goins Chapel Rd; Tazewell, TN 37879. We appreciate your help.
- Yoakum Cemetery in Speedwell is in need of donations. Please send them to: Jean Davis Cline; 1685 Back Valley Road, Speedwell, TN 37870.
- Speedwell Church of God services are held on Sundays, beginning at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., and on Wednesdays, beginning at 7 p.m. The church is located at 345 Carr Gap Road in Speedwell, TN. Pastor Daniel Ellison and congregation invites everyone to attend.
- Leatherwood Baptist Church will be holding their monthly singing every 2nd Sunday night of the month, beginning at 6 p.m. Pastor, Timothy Sharp; choir director, David Snow.
- Leatherwood Baptist Church holds its regular services every Sunday morning with Sunday School starting at 10 a.m., worship service at 11 a.m. and Sunday evening services each 2nd and 4th Sunday night beginning at 6 p.m. Pastor Rev. Timothy Sharp. Song director David Snow.
- Pinnacle View Primitive Baptist Church: There is singing, fellowship every third Saturday at 6 p.m. The church is located on Lothbury Ave., Middlesboro, across from Food City.
- First Baptist Church of New Tazewell is open for Sunday morning worship at 11 a.m. and Sunday evening worship at 6 p.m. Wednesday evening services are now ongoing beginning at 6 p.m. For more info, call: 423-626-5401. Bill Duncan, pastor.
- Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church, located at 1250 Pine Hill Road in Tazewell, meets Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. Monthly singing first Saturday at 6 p.m. Only King James Version Bible used. Everyone welcome to worship. Mail correspondence to: Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church, Sarah Mayfield, Church Clerk, 1250 Pine Hill Road, Tazewell, TN 37879.
- Twin City Baptist Church now offers sign language interpretation of the services. Everyone is welcome.