Published 6:20 am Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Compiled by JAN RUNIONS
The deadline for submitting Area Happenings, Church Events, Cemetery News, Reunions or Society items is Thursday at noon. See our website each week for a full
listing of local events: www.claiborneprogress.net. Send all area events to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Claiborne County Historical & Genealogy Society will be celebrating Historic Preservation during the month of May with free tours of the Old Jail every Saturday (May 6, 13, 20 & 27) from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. The jail is located on Hwy. 25E between First Century Bank and Cash Express. This year’s Preservation Month theme is ‘People Saving Places’ — a month-long, celebratory high-five to all who do a great work of saving places and inspiring others to do the same. Drop by and see how the oldest freestanding jail in the state of Tennessee and third oldest in the country is being preserved. Members will be available to talk with you about the history of the jail, Claiborne county and family genealogy. Tours will continue on June 17, June 24 and July 1. For more info, call the office at 423-526-5737. Email your research questions to email@example.com. CCHGS is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the history of Claiborne County. Please mail your tax deductible contributions or annual membership dues to: CCHGS, PO Box 32: Tazewell, TN 37879.
• Burch Cemetery Memorial Day Service will be held on May 28 beginning at 11 a.m. with singing and preaching. The annual financial report will be given at that time. If you are unable to attend, and you would like to make a donation, send your donation to: Burch Cemetery Trust Fund; c/o Becky Gordon; PO Box 732; New Tazewell, TN 37824. Or you can make a donation at First Century Bank to the Burch Cemetery Trust Fund. All donations are greatly appreciated for the upkeep of the cemetery.
• Liberty Missionary Baptist Church will hold its Memorial Day Service on May 28 beginning at 10:30 a.m. Following the morning service, dinner will be served at the Ritchie School Church Fellowship Hall. Evening service will be canceled. Dennis Buchanan, song leader; Rev. Jeremy Buchanan, pastor
• The Claiborne Public Library will be registering participants on May 30 for its annual Summer Reading Program. This year’s theme “All Together Now” will run from June 6 through July 18. A different performer will be showcased each Tuesday beginning at 10:30 a.m. inside the basement of the Library building. Lunch will be provided following each Tuesday’s performance. To qualify for entry into the weekly prize drawings held each Tuesday, a child must have read or listened to books that week accessed through the Library or on the Libby App. For more info, call 423-626-5414.
• New Tazewell United Methodist Church website can be accessed by logging onto: www.loc8nearme.com/tennessee/tazewell/new-tazewell-united-methodist/7280395/
• Claiborne County Office on Aging services are always free of charge for assistance with LIHEAP (energy bills), SNAP (food stamps), SHIP (Medicare, Advantage ans, Tenncare etc.), Home Repairs, some medical equipment, Emergency Food, Transportation, COVID 19 vaccine/Booster. The OOA Director Tammy Austin has been trained through AIRS and holds a certification as a Resource Specialist. Please call Austin with all questions or needs at: 423-259-3395 (office) or 865-599-1496 (cell).
• Cook Cemetery in the Liberty community of Claiborne County is in need of funds to provide upkeep and maintenance of the cemetery grounds. Anyone with relatives buried there is asked to send donations to: Joe Smith; 126 Evans Lane, Tazewell TN 37879. All donations are greatly appreciated.
• Yoakum Cemetery in Speedwell is seeking donations for its upkeep for the current year. Donations are greatly appreciated and can be sent to: Jean Davis Cline; 1685 Back Valley Road; Speedwell TN 37870.
• Chumley Cemetery in Arthur is in need of funds to provide maintenance of the grounds. Send donations to: Chumley Cemetery Fund c/o Joan Adams Webb; P.O. Box 115, Cumberland Gap, TN 37724. All donations are greatly needed and appreciated.
• Greer Cemetery is in need of donations to cover the mowing and maintenance. All donations are greatly appreciated and may be sent to Travis Smith; 1033 Straight Creek Road, New Tazewell, TN 37825
• Bethel Cemetery needs donations to pay for mowing. Anyone with loved ones buried in the cemetery is asked to do all they can to make sure the cemetery is maintained. Send all donations to: Aileen Campbell; 2850 Cave Springs Road; Tazewell, TN 37879
• Woods-Cosby Cemetery is asking for donations to help pay for mowing and general upkeep of the cemetery. All donations can be sent to either Mike Cosby; 452 Goins Chapel Road; Tazewell, TN 37879 or to the Woods-Cosby Cemetery Fund at Commercial Bank in New Tazewell. For more info, call 423-626-3620.